Saturday, November 22, 2014

Salty Soak

I've been getting more into mixing up my own products at home. I've been making and using this AMAZING coffee grounds scrub for the shower for a couple months now (I'll post about it soon!) but thought I'd share this super basic, easy, and adaptable epson salt bath salt 'recipe' first. Dipping the toe in (ha!). 

Materials Needed:


I measured out a cup of the epson salt and put them in the bowl. I decided, since I'd neglected my basil and let it bolt, I'd cut off some of those flowers to use in my salts. I thought they would add a fantastic basil smell and whatever goodness comes from basil plants. All plants have some goodness right?! I trimmed the tops of my thai, purple, and sweet basil plants. 



Above are the stems with flowers, below are the stems de-flowered (if you will).


The thai and purple basil flowers are purple and the sweet basil flowers are white. 


After picking the flowers off the stems I threw them into my cup of salt and added 10 drops of the essential oil and gave it all a good stir before putting it into my jar. So pretty! 

Here's the final product!



I just used some the other day, the scent really opens up when you drop it in water. It smells absolutely amazing and feels luxurious. I see many spa days in my future. Pro tip: I put about a 1/4 in a tub to soak my feet. I fill up half of the tub with boiling water, pouring it onto the salt to help it dissolve quickly and to open up the scent. I then top it off with room temperature water, resulting in a perfectly hot tub of salts ready to use. If you want to go for the full bath, pour a full cup into the tub and fill with warm water. 

These are great for personal use and would make awesome gifts too! You could use any number of scents or herbs to make unique or personal scents. Go on and get your relax on. 


No comments:

Post a Comment