Saturday, October 25, 2014

Baubles, Organized

I've been looking for some way to organize my jewelry for awhile now. I knew if I organized it better I would wear different pieces more rather than wearing the same things every day, which is my default. Inspiration struck one day. I had a random, leftover piece of wood from an Ikea dresser I bought years ago (so old it doesn't look like they sell it anymore) and gold nails from a picture hanging kit (FIXA, also from Ikea). The wood piece has a white veneer on the front and back but the sides were unfinished so I knew I had to cover those up.

Enter my go-to: yarn. I have this mustard yellow yarn (the company calls the color gold but it's mustard yellow), Red Heart Super Saver Yarn. I figured it would be a good contrast to the white wood piece, would set the white wood apart from the white wall it would hang on, and I really like the mustard yellow color!

Materials Needed:


  • Twine (used to hang the wood)
  • Yarn
  • Glue gun and glue sticks
  • Nails
  • Piece of wood




Here is a picture showing the sides of the wood that I needed to cover up:



First I measured across the wood and divided it up so I could place five nails evenly across the wood (this required dividing up the wood into six segments). I ended up staggering the nails on the wood front so my bracelets wouldn't overlap each other when hung up. Two important points regarding the nails: I picked nails with a large head and angled them down a bit so my jewelry would not slip off. Next I glued the yarn around the sides using the glue gun and finished the piece by nailing two smaller nails in the top of the wood. I then tied a piece of twine around those two nails so I could it to hang the whole thing up.

Here's the finished product, adorned:




And here's a bit of a close up of the side so you can see the angle of the nails better:




I've had this for about a year now and it works great! This is another project you could vary the style of greatly. Use a piece of antiqued wood for a more vintage feel. Paint the wood a color that fits in with your room decor. Use a different color yarn or twine. The options are endless!